Client Automation Standard Practitioners Forum
cancel

Patch Acquisition problem

Highlighted
Tan Tjin Wan
Trusted Contributor.

Patch Acquisition problem

Halo everyone, my name is Tan Tjin Wan. I have a problem regarding acquiring patch from vendor website.

I use Radia Patch Manager v3.0. I have followed the installation steps before installing RPM v3.0. I installed RMS v3.2, RRS v4.2, Tcl 8.4 Metakit Conversion, and RMP Update v2.1. I skipped Radia Self Maintenance because I have not needed the service.

I tried to download all patches from Microsoft website. When I started the acquisition, it seems that only .xml files are downloaded to /Novadigm/IntegrationServer/data/patch/Novadigm folder. No more files in Microsoft folder. Also, no even single .exe files were successfully downloaded.

I have specified the proxy in format: http://IP_ADDRESS:PORT#. I also have specified the proxy address in Internet Explorer. I tried to download one of the patch using Internet Explorer and it was successful. But when I used the Patch Administrator, it was failed.

Attached are log files from Configuration Server and Integration Server folders located in RCS machine.

Would you please help me with this problem. Thanks you before hand.
4 REPLIES
Thompson, Jim
Outstanding Contributor.

Re: Patch Acquisition problem

One of your older RCS logs (May 12) shows a lot of activity associated with a Patch Acquisition - hard to tell if it completed successfully or not, but it was at least partially successful before the RCS was stopped.

Not sure if this point is related or not however I noticed that the internet connection speed seems very slow. For example, the following URL http://managementsoftware.hp.com:80/Radia/patch_management/data/patch/novadigm/MS02-070.xml is 506,826 bytes and when I paste it into my browser it takes 9 seconds for the page to fully load. During your acquisition it takes over a minute and a half. You may want to see about increasing your connect speed or maybe finding a closer/different/less busy internet proxy to use...once you do start downloading data, it could be painfully slow at those speeds...

...but I think the root of your problem is that something is not working during the 'maintenance' phase. This is a new feature and I'm not sure how exactly it is supposed to work, but there are errors in your patch-maint.log file. I'd suggest opening a support ticket.
"Well...it depends..."
Tan Tjin Wan
Trusted Contributor.

Re: Patch Acquisition problem

Hi Jim,

I am a little bit confused now. I tried to do patch acquisition once again in another environment. I mean in another Internet connection with no proxy being set. I succeeded to download the patch (.exe) from Microsoft website. I suggest there is something wrong with the proxy setting or the Internet connection in the first place.

What do you think Jim? Meanwhile, I will try again to download the patch in the first place and do some researches.

Best regards,
Thompson, Jim
Outstanding Contributor.

Re: Patch Acquisition problem

Hi Tan,

I assume that the name of your Patch Manager service is httpd (based on the names of your log files). For others that have used MoveRIS, the service name is probably httpd-rpm.

Create an environment variable on your acquisition server (the one that runs patch manager) named:

NVD_SERVICENAME and set it to httpd (or httpd-rpm as the case may be)

Then, restart the patch manager service and retry your acquisition...
"Well...it depends..."
Daniel M. Wolf
Respected Contributor.

Re: Patch Acquisition problem

Tan, I just found the same error with the proxy, if you solve it anyhow I would apreciate the information. Thaks a lot.