Client Automation Standard Practitioners Forum
cancel

LDAP Discovery and IP Address

Highlighted
Andri TSL
Valued Contributor.

LDAP Discovery and IP Address

Hi all,

I've just ran a discovery through LDAP and it succesfully found all my devices. However I need to also see devices ip addresses which are not showing.

Does a device need to be managed before it can show its ip address ? if thats not the case, is there a way that I can force it ?

Thanks all.
Andri
6 REPLIES
Roy O Gatewood_
Acclaimed Contributor.

Re: LDAP Discovery and IP Address

Sorry, do you mean that you imported devices from LDAP for management as discussed on page 158 of the CCM Guide?
If that's correct then you will need to install the agent on them and then do Discovering software/hardware inventory as described on page 61 of the CCM Guide.
Andri TSL
Valued Contributor.

Hi Roy, that is correct. LDAP Discovery as described on page 158. After all devices were discovered, its just showing me the host name or some fqdn, its OS, but no IP addresses :(
Nick Keenan
Respected Contributor.

Hi Andri

You won't be able to get the IP address out of the LDAP directory and unless the agent is on the computer you won't get it out of Radia. You could however query DNS (or try to ping the computer by name) to resolve the IP.

Cheers

Nick
Andri TSL
Valued Contributor.

Thanks Nick, I might just have to do that then..:( , the plan was to do a staggered rollout based on subnets.

The plan was:
1. LDAP Discovery
2. Dynamic Group Reporting based on subnets
3. Deploy agents based on the dynamic reporting group.

Without the IP I might have to do a different approach :(

Anyone know a way CCM to do a ping sweep and record it against the devices thats discovered ? strangely enough during our pilot, some of the devices thats discovered has an IP address, even though it didnt have any agents on them.

Regards,
Andri
Roy O Gatewood_
Acclaimed Contributor.

As we stated, if done via LDAP you will need to install the agent.
You could try to do a Domain import.
Andri TSL
Valued Contributor.

Thanks all.. I've taken a different approach all together.

When importing devices, I imported devices by entering its ip addresses instead, subnets by subnets.