How to un-acquire a patch

SOLVED
Go to solution
Highlighted
susana.gi
Super Contributor.

How to un-acquire a patch

Hi all,
I'd like to un-acquire some patches I've acquired.
How can I do it? I haven't found any clue in Patch Manager manual....

I've thought of:
- Delete the class instance in RCS PATCHMGR domain (just the ZSERVICE)
- Synchronize RCS and SQLServer
- Delete the files in RPM directory C:\Novadigm\IntegrationServer\data\patch

Is there any easy (and supported) way to do this kind of work?

Thanks and regards,
Susana.
7 REPLIES
Ben Sweetser
Honored Contributor.
Solution

Re: How to un-acquire a patch

Susana,

While it isn't actually "un-acquiring", I think what you are looking for is Patch retirement. With Patch Manager 1.2.3 and later, you can specify patches to "retire" in the patch configuration file (patch.cfg) or the acquisition command line (in the cfg file is recommended so you maintain a single location for patch retirement). The parameter in the configuration file is "retire" and it is simply a comma separated list of the bulletins to retire.

Ben
susana.gi
Super Contributor.

Hi Ben,
it's ok for me, I'm testing it and my RCS and SQLServer is ok.

I suppose now I can delete this patch from Patch Manager directory, can't I?

It's:
C:\Novadigm\IntegrationServer\data\patch\novadigm\

Thanks and regards,
Susana
Gideon van Zyl
Super Contributor.

Hi Susana

If you manually remove the files, you will create all kinds of interesting groundeffects. In principle never modify the Radia RCS database from the commandline without using HP provided tools. The utility to use to do any maintenance on your RCS database is a commandline utility, ZEDMAMS, that can be found in the BIN directory of your RCS. This utility is extensively documented in the Configuration Manager guide, but obviously if you need any assistance in using it, you can post your questions here.

Have fun
I do not trust anybody who has written more books than he has read.
susana.gi
Super Contributor.

Hi Gideon,
I agree with you, I'd always prefer to delete entries in RCS using a tool.

I have deleted my acquired patches from RCS and Patch database using the "retire" option as Ben said, and my RCS is clean now.
But the files of this patch (downloaded from Microsoft site) are stil in my disk.

This is what I want to delete (disk space isn't free or cheap, is it?)

Thanks and regards,
Susana.
Gideon van Zyl
Super Contributor.

Hmmm... you should buy bigger servers from HP ;)

Serious though - there is a ZEDMAMS command that will allow you to remove orphaned resources (i.e. resources that do not have a reference to them in the RCS). To do this, go to the Bin directory of your RCS (e.g. c:\Novadigm\ConfigurationServer\Bin). Stop the RCS (if Windows - Net stop ztoptask), now run ZEDMAMS VERB=DELETE_ORPHANS
you can also add a switch TRACE=YES, although I think it is on by default you might want to add it anyway. If you have executed the command, and look at the zedmams.log file, you will see if the resources you want to get rid of are in fact MIA. If not, the objects referring to them in the RCS, are still there.

I trust this will help.

Enjoy
I do not trust anybody who has written more books than he has read.
Ben Sweetser
Honored Contributor.

Susana,

You should be fine to remove retired patches (the exe's) from the data directory, but I would leave the xml metadata. This takes little space and the information could be used by other bulletins for more complete supersedence information.

Ben
susana.gi
Super Contributor.

Solution provided by Ben, I was looking for the "retire" option in Radia Patch Manager.