cancel

Discover Patch Compliance to Vista Client Failed

SOLVED
Go to solution
Highlighted
eRoS_1
Trusted Contributor.

Discover Patch Compliance to Vista Client Failed

I'm trying to run Discover Patch Compliance to a managed device with Windows Vista OS, but it keep on failing with message:
"Failed to Notify remote device - Reason: Completed on receiving Synopsis object"
Anyone know how to make this job works? I'm using HPCAS 7.50. Is there anything I should do to Vista client? The discover job runs well to XP client.
Thanks!
11 REPLIES
Karl Skelton
Acclaimed Contributor.

Re: Discover Patch Compliance to Vista Client Failed

"Failed to Notify remote device" suggests that the client does not even receive the request to run the connection.

Check the RADEXECD.LOG on the Vista client, do you see the notify being received? Compare this with the same notify to an XP client.

If the Vista client is not receiving the request check for firewalls. The client is listening on port 3465 for a remote notify so you need to have this port open. Does any other software notify work?

HTH.

Karl
eRoS_1
Trusted Contributor.

Hi Karl,
Following your suggestion, I do a discover patch compliance to a Vista client and a XP client within the same job. I've compared the RADEXECD.LOG (C:\Program Files\Hewlett-Packard\HPCA\Agent\Log\radexecd.log) I found on Vista client and XP client and I found no difference, but the job still failed on Vista client, success on XP client. FYI, I've attached those two log files.
The other job is working on the same Vista client. I already test the Discover Hardware/Software Inventory and Software deployment on Vista client and it works.
FYI, the Vista client is joined to domain, Windows update enabled, firewall and defender off, no antivirus, no other firewall, just a plain Vista plus Microsoft Hotfix 252981 (KB967159).

Any other suggestions?

Thanks.
Karl Skelton
Acclaimed Contributor.

Suggest you do the following on both the vista and xp devices...
1. delete all the logs from the C:\Program Files\Hewlett-Packard\HPCA\Agent\Log folder. Some logs will be locked by the CAS agent services so don't worry about them.
2. rerun the patch job on both devices
3. zip both sets of logs and post them to the forum.

Karl.
eRoS_1
Trusted Contributor.

Here you go!
I stopped the HPCA services before deleting the files, so I managed to delete all log files, then restart the machine and rerun the job. Results are still the same.

Karl Skelton
Acclaimed Contributor.

the patch connect does start on the Vista device and we see it attempting to update the WUA...
20091005 14:10:54 Info: Checking Windows Update Agent
20091005 14:10:54 Info: Upgrading WUA current version : 7.0.6001.18000 newer version : 7.2.6001.788
20091005 14:10:54 Info: WUA Agent update file : C:/PROGRA~1/HEWLET~1/HPCA/Agent/Lib/WUA/WUAAgent-x86.exe
20091005 14:10:54 Error: Error during discover scan : The system cannot find the file specified.

On the Vista machine, do you see WUAAgent-x86.exe in the folder...
C:/PROGRA~1/HEWLET~1/HPCA/Agent/Lib/WUA/

If not, zip the ZCONFIG.EDM and the ZMASTER.EDM file from the C:/PROGRA~1/HEWLET~1/HPCA/Agent/Lib/ folder and post to the forum.

Karl Skelton
Acclaimed Contributor.
Solution

Also, is this a fresh install of CAS7.5 or did you upgrade? If you upgraded, which version were you running?
eRoS_1
Trusted Contributor.

No Karl, it's a fresh installation of HPCAS 7.50.
There's no WUAAgent-x86 file in C:/PROGRA~1/HEWLET~1/HPCA/Agent/Lib/WUA/. Files that exists in that folder are wsusscn2.cab and
wuredist.xml
I attach ZCONFIG.EDM and ZMASTER.EDM files you've asked.
Thanks.
eRoS_1
Trusted Contributor.

I manually update the Windows Update Agent using files I downloaded from http://support.microsoft.com/kb/949104 and it finally works.
I guess the previous job failed because the Vista client cannot update Windows Update Agent automatically because the machine is not connected to Internet.

Karl,
because your answer lead me to this conclusion, I give you full credit for this... Thanks!
eRoS_1
Trusted Contributor.

See my previous post.
harshahr
Trusted Contributor.

Hi All,

I am using CAS 7.2

I am getting the following error while deploying the patches to device

"failed to notify remote device-Reason one or more commands ended in error"

Please any one can help me.

Thanks in advance,
Harsha
Karl Skelton
Acclaimed Contributor.

Please start a new thread for this question. This thread is already closed.

Karl.