Client Automation Standard Practitioners Forum
cancel

Complex Installs...

Highlighted
Fatmcgav
Occasional Contributor

Complex Installs...

HI there,

This is a question regarding publishing software via HP OVCM CCM.

Bascially, i've got a piece of software that requires a number of steps to install. They are:
2x MSI installs - initial version and update.
1x Standard Exe file - a patch.
1x Batch File - Set file folder permssions.

I've tried coming close to this using CM Administrator Publisher. Doesnt seem to work.

Any ideas on how else I could accomplish this?

Cheers
Gavin
6 REPLIES

Re: Complex Installs...

Hi Gavin,

Here is how I should do it.

1. put the 2 MSI installs in Radia using the Radia Publisher
2. put the EXE file in Radia using the component select mode of the Radia Packager, then in the system explorer you create the Zservice (from the package) and in the ZCREATE option you make the command to fire off the EXE file.
3. Put the batch file in Radia the same as the EXE

4. Make a new Zservice (within the system explorer) and connect the 4 zservices (2 MSI, 1 EXE, 1 batch) This will be the zservicegroup. This zservice can you use to deploy the software.

Regards,

Dirk-Jan
Kate Peterson
Acclaimed Contributor

Dirk-Jan,
I am doing something similar. I am laying down a bunch of files and then I am using the ZCREATE method to run a script (c:\Hewlett-Packard\BusinessSupport\CMTool\swm_scripts\swm_update_post.bat)

It doesn't seem to be able to execute anything with a '-' character in the path. I put the script in c:\temp and it executes fine as long as I don't put any paths it in that it doesn't like. The .bat file doesn't appear to be executed by Windows cmd.exe, but some other interpreter. I don't want to execute my script out of c:\temp, but rather want to execute it in a subdirectory of c:\Hewlett-Packard.
Have you seen this problem? Does anyone know how to get around these limitations?
Roy O Gatewood_
Honored Contributor

I suspect that the need is for 8.3 notation when dealing with directory and file names. For example Progra~1 instead of 'Program Files'
I would make it a cmd not bat file and you should be able to run it from anywhere if itâ s either absolutely pathed or in the %PATH%. You may need to use native too.
Chuck Hoffman
Regular Collector

I use long file names in the ZCREATE without problems.
Chuck Hoffman
Regular Collector

Make sure that your path doesn't exceed the maximum length of the ZCREATE.

Hi Gavin,

If you are using CCM, there really is not a way to order installations (you won't have some of the options listed above). Probably the easiest thing to do here would be to collect your files into a single directory and create a batch file that would execute each of these steps in order.

While you could create separate services for each of these items, trying to get them to run in a particular order could be problematic, unless you created a dynamic group based on the results of each previous step. This would just create extra complexity for managing this software, though.

Ben
//Add this to "OnDomLoad" event