Client Automation Standard Practitioners Forum
cancel

Client Automation Manager 7.9 Standart DB Connection Problem

Highlighted
Tayfun Kerestec
Frequent Contributor.

Client Automation Manager 7.9 Standart DB Connection Problem

I Installed Client Automation Manager 7.9 Standart Edition on Windows Server 2008 Enterprise Edt. R2 (64Bit) with MS SQL Server 2008 Enterprise Edt. R2 which is installed on local machine. But i got a problem on First Time Setup Wizard on Database Settings screen. I tried both Use Existing Database (Create a database manually) and Create Database options but on each try i got the follwing error message.

"Unable to establish ODBC connection: Invalid server host and/or server port"

I'm using port 1433 which i already set it on SQL Server Configuration Manager and I test the DSN Connection on ODBC and succesfully connected.

Can someone help me about this problem ?
10 REPLIES
H.Schoene
Contributor.

Re: Client Automation Manager 7.9 Standart DB Connection Problem

with the following steps I have install HPCA-DB install successfully:
1. create a DB-User with a password (e.g. "hpca")
2. allow both authentications to SQL-Server (Windows-Authentication and SQL-Authentication)
3. delete an existing DB "HPCA_Core", if you have a new installation
4. delete the odbc-connection-entry for HPCA_CORE
5. temporally give the user, that you created in step 1 the role "dbcreator"
6. check DNS with short and long name to the SQL-Server to resolve.not with "ping", use "nslookup" (hint: a client, that you install from the console need also DNS, otherwise the installation will "wait")

7. Thats all, try it.

Now you can change the role "dbcreator" (step 5) to another user-type with rights to this DB. I use "dbowner".

Tayfun Kerestec
Frequent Contributor.

Thanks for your reply but i got the same error message. I can established the connection from ODBC with port 1433 and new DB User but unable to complete Database Settings on First Time Setup Wizard

Microsoft SQL Server ODBC Driver Version 06.01.7600

Running connectivity tests...

Attempting connection
Connection established
Verifying option settings
Disconnecting from server

TESTS COMPLETED SUCCESSFULLY!
Steve Berube
Outstanding Contributor.

Can you post the logs from apacheserver/apps/console/logs/*
Tayfun Kerestec
Frequent Contributor.

You can find the attached file that you want.

Regards,
Tayfun Kerestec
Frequent Contributor.

20100924 09:40:59 Info: New user connected session id: 91
20100924 09:40:59 Info: New user connected session id: 92
20100924 09:41:00 Info: New user connected session id: 93
20100924 09:41:13 Info: New user connected session id: 94
20100924 09:41:13 Info: New user connected session id: 95
20100924 09:41:14 Info: New user connected session id: 96
20100924 09:41:28 Audit/success: Validate validateLicense ran by admin
20100924 09:41:31 Info: ifcondition processing ifblock
20100924 09:41:45 Audit/success: Validate validateOdbcInfo ran by admin
20100924 09:41:45 Info: sending vms post to: http://localhost:3466/vms/livecontent/configuration/test with query: configuration_test_targets=database default_reporting_db_drivername=sqlserver default_reporting_db_server=test2k8cam default_reporting_db_port=1433 default_reporting_db_databasename=HPCA_CORE default_reporting_db_username=hpca default_reporting_db_password={AES256}vyWlGse/fF691Om45X0x0A==
20100924 09:41:45 Info: Attempt 0
20100924 09:41:45 Info: vms post succeeded with status: ok code: HTTP/1.1 400 Bad Request
20100924 09:41:45 Info: vms post response data:
Unknown configuration property: configuration_test_targets
20100924 09:41:45 Error: Invalid server host and/or server port
20100924 09:41:45 Error: Command validate.database.validateodbcinfo failed: Unable to establish ODBC connection: Invalid server host and/or server port
20100924 09:41:45 Info: ifcondition processing ifblock
Tayfun Kerestec
Frequent Contributor.

I changed the OS and DB Paltform to Windows Server 2003 Ent. Edt. and SQL Server 2005 and it worked. I couldn't solve the DB Connection Problem on Server 2008 but if anyone have any idea for solution i can try to apply it on Virtual Environment.
Simon Hiscock
New Member.

I'm having the exact same issue, Windows 2008 R2 server (not SP1) with SQL 2008 Express SP1.

Seems this is happening to several people but I can't find any solutions....
ECapilla
Contributor.

You only have to follow this check list:

1. make sure that you don't have SQL Express
  2. In the SQL installation process, did you activate mixed mode? you will need to access via the sa account.
  3. Open the SQL Server Configuration Manager and open SQL Server network configuration, then open Protocols for MSSQLSERVER (or your database name) and enable TCP/IP
  4. on the SQL Server configuration manager check out that the SQL Server and SQL Server Agent services are up and running.
  5. open data sources ODBC on windows and on the User DSN Tab click Add, then select SQL Server, enter whatever name and description you want, on server write the computer name (of the server you installed the HPCAS), click next. On that screen select "With SQL Server Authentication..." fill Login ID with "sa" an put your database password. If you click next and no error occured, you are ready for installing the HPCAS without any problem.

My best wishes

Shanti Yajnik
Honored Contributor.

Hi,

Try instead of using the option on manually entering the db connection instead of using the existing db connection option. There give the IP address and fill in the other options.

Shanti Yajnik
Honored Contributor.

Hi,
Another option, since you are using a 64bit OS, is to create the odbc connection using the odbcad32.exe from Sysvow64 folder located in c:\Windows