Hi I have problem in many workstations when I try to patch them. I got Error Message 650 (Server stopped application configuration). I have attached part of Client and Server logs for more details. Thanks
-! Error client did not provide LOOKUP object NVD8126I 07:45:24 Radia Client --- --! To correct make sure the PRIMARY.PATCHMGR.ZSERVICE._BASE_INSTANCE_ has the RUNDLG attribute value to Y NVD8119I 07:45:24 Radia Client --- REXX Method <> ended at <07:45:24:269>, rc<16>
What is RUNDLG in PRIMARY.PATCHMGR.ZSERVICE._BASE_INSTANCE_ set to?
1. Check the complies report for a desktop and note the 1 or 2 patch. 2. Create an instance in that name. 3. Ensure that patch you have noted is downloaded 4. Assign the patches to that instance along with the Discover_Patch. 5. Clean the client logs 6. Notify the clients. 7. Check the RRS reports. 8. Post the client logs.
As what we can see from client log, it is looking for a file called WUAAgent-x86.exe to ugrade Patch Agent, Where I only have two files, First one is WUAAgent-x64.exe and WUAAgent-ia64.exe. In the patch logs it shows that this the last update for Patch Agent as follow: Package Windows Update Agent Media (WUA_MEDIA) Release 126.96.36.1999, Published on 2006-07-16 17:37:56
File Name Date Size WUAAgent-ia64.exe 2005-06-16 00:49:57 13713376 WUAAgent-x64.exe 2005-06-16 00:49:51 4571104 wsusscan.cab 2006-07-12 06:15:44 5244588 wuredist.xml 2005-05-31 16:41:44 749
which shows that there is no file with name WUAAgent-x86.exe in the component of the latest release. My questions: 1. Is there any file called WUAAgent-x86.exe and how can I download it? 2. If there is no file with this name, from where the client decide to run it?
Roy, I couldn't get what you mean by not able to resolve! I checked the RCS log and I found this message which you may trying to mention:
REXX Method <> with parms started at <10:14:01:575> NVD8141I 10:14:01 Radia Client --- Object not found - NVD8126I 10:14:01 Radia Client --- --! Error client did not provide LOOKUP object NVD8126I 10:14:01 Radia Client --- --! To correct make sure the PRIMARY.PATCHMGR.ZSERVICE._BASE_INSTANCE_ has the RUNDLG attribute value to Y NVD8119I 10:14:01 Radia Client --- REXX Method <> ended at <10:14:01:575>, rc<16> NVD8010E 10:14:01 Radia Client --! METHOD SET OBJECT RESOLUTION ABORT CODE NVD3043E 10:14:01 Radia Client --! OBJECT RESOLUTION ABORTED - DUE TO RETURN CODE, RC = <16> NVD3043E 10:14:01 Radia Client --! OBJECT RESOLUTION ABORTED - DUE TO RETURN CODE, RC = <16> NVD3043E 10:14:01 Radia Client --! OBJECT RESOLUTION ABORTED - DUE TO RETURN CODE, RC = <16> NVD5376I 10:14:01 Radia Client --- User: Connect message:
I also attached part of the RCS log for more details.
These threads can get unreadable after a while. The client in this thread failed to perform Patch Disocvery because patchagt.tkd could not find C:/PROGRA~1/Novadigm/Lib/WUA/WUAAgent-x86.exe (as Biju said). Nor could it find hide.exe thus client methods failed. With that said the RCS method patchlu (lookup) failed because it didn't get the LOOKUP object from the client. Not sure what to advise at this point other than refresh the client and try again.
It is ok now, the problem as mentioned that the client should be upgraded first, and to do that it is always looking for the file WUAAgent-x86.exe which was not there in the client update package. I finaly got the file, I don't know why it was not able to download it.