Backup and Governance
cancel

Governance of Employees’ Social Media is Critical to Mitigating Risk

Governance of Employees’ Social Media is Critical to Mitigating Risk

EROSS1

SocialMedia.jpg

I had thought myself as pretty social media savvy. Being of a certain age, I hadn’t grown up with social media but have been using it my entire career and adult life. Indeed one quick glance at my phone and the well-known apps for Twitter, Facebook, LinkedIn and Instagram are front and center.  However, we now live and work in a world of Snapchat, WhatsApp and Reddit amongst dozens of other social media applications. The rise of social media and the use of personal devices (cell phones, tablets and laptops) in the workplace are placing organizations and those responsible for governance in a precarious position. 

Social media, from a governance perspective, is a growing challenge for companies globally and one that cannot be ignored.  Today’s employers have to perform a balancing act when it comes to social media.  Employers need to develop social media-specific policies that allow the company to reap the positive benefits of social media use while minimizing the negative effects.  Employers must also acknowledge the ever-increasing regulations and associated fines for mismanagement of the social media data that is being shared and collected across the company network.

In short, escalating regulations and fines are colliding with today’s workforce and their “obsession-like” use of social media channels to create something of a perfect storm.  Organizations must address this perfect storm with strict policies and increased data governance.  

How to address the social problem

Two different perspectives show the influence that social media has on today’s enterprise.  The Pew Research Center’s 2016 report on Social Media and the Workplace identified that 77 percent of workers use social media in the workplace.  And according to a 2015 Deloitte Advisory Pulse Survey on Social Media, 82 percent of companies use social media for investigations.  These two reports demonstrate the growing use of social media in the workforce from both the employee and employer perspective.  The proliferation of “bring your own device,” as well as a more distributed workforce, is demanding that corporate policies are established and enforced.  Because of this change in corporate behavior, organizations need to be equipped from a technology standpoint to act on suspicious or risk relevant data.

To successfully and comprehensibly take control of social media data, your technology solution must:

• Keep up with the volume and variety of social media sources
  • Provide clear visibility and access to communications
  • Support compliance with regulatory mandates
  • Manage and enforce social media policies automatically
  • Protect from risk with actionable insights

How we can help you

Hewlett Packard Enterprise (HPE) is well versed in the challenges that social media presents in today’s organizations.  Working directly with the HPE Digital Safe group, I have a front row seat to how customers can leverage the HPE’s Social Media Governance Solution to not only monitor social media but also take action.   HPE’s Digital Safe Social Media Governance has the ability to allow organizations to take immediate action, including the ability to quarantine posts, and identify ‘unknown’ social accounts and assets that may potentially be malicious (fake/fraudulent) or non-malicious (employees) in nature.

The HPE Digital Safe Social Media Governance solution brings together the domain expertise and technology innovation that HPE has been known for since its beginnings.  HPE provides a single source for our customers to meet their business information needs by utilizing its leadership within records management, enterprise search, information archiving, automatic content classification, supervision, and surveillance.  The HPE Digital Safe Social Media Governance allows customers to implement individual governance solutions to address the rapid adoption of social media within today’s workforce or combine them to deliver greater value as a complete end-to-end solution.

I believe that organizations are being proactive in their monitoring of social media.  Today’s employee works and shares information in real-time.  It is important that employers define strict policies that are clearly spelled out, that information is monitored and captured from an audit perspective, and that when suspicious data is identified, the company has the ability to act upon it. 

To find out more about Social Media Governance and the HPE Digital Safe suite, take a look at our webpages here: hpe.com/software/digitalsafe

• Information Governance
0 Kudos
About the Author

EROSS1

Ewan Ross is Senior Marketing Manager for HPE’s Information Management and Governance business unit – a division of HPE Software. Bringing over a decade of software marketing experience, he is responsible for thought leadership, product messaging and go-to-market efforts for the organization’s data protection, file analysis, information archiving, records management, and eDiscovery offerings.