I have SiteScope 10 on a windows box and when I click the report tab on high level SiteScope the report tab works fine. When I go down to the lower groups or monitors and click on reports i get "Error while trying to get report summary (com.mecury.sitescope.platform.configmanager.MissingReferencedConfigObecht Expception. Screen shot attached. Please let me know if you know how to solve this issue. Let me know if you need more information.
Were these reports imported from an earlier SiteScope version?
Have you tried to create any new "Lower Groups" an see if the report tab will work there?
You may try to find the lowest point at which the report tab works, then create new Lower Groups, and copy and paste the monitors to those. Copy those old reports over to the new "Lower Groups" or create new ones.
I'm just spit-balling some ideas to trouble-shoot.
We did upgrade SiteScope in May to version 10 but we did not bring any reports over. These reports we recreated on the 10 interface. The reports were working up until the beginning of July.
I can't go any lower than the SiteScope group with the reporting tab. When i try to copy the report i created from the SiteScope group down to the lower levels I get the error mentioned in the thread. Missing referenced Config object exception.
I have looked through the logs but nothing jumps out to me. I cant think of anything that might have happened to blow up that functionality. We really dont do any customizing of the SiS tool. Do you know what this config Manager is and where it references these objects?
thanks for the help. I can see the reports in that screen. I am not sure what to do with that, but at least I think I have a good starting poing. Maybe I should delete the reports and see if that will resolve the issue. Thoughts?
It seems to me the problem is SiteScope lost its reference to those lower containers in some form or fashion. My recommendation would be to try and re-create those references by moving the monitors from those lower groups to a higher group. Delete those lower groups, and then re-create them, and then copy those monitors back, and see if the report tab works. This can be very easily done by using the "Manage Monitor and Groups" button located next to the "Tools" button within SiteScope 10.
I would do that first before messing with the root reports within the persistency manager.
I found the error. There were some monitors listed in the history.conf that needed to be deleted. Once I deleted these monitors and restarted SiteScope the functionality started working again for all levels. I guess we somehow corrupted that file.
Went through the error.log and found 3 referenced monitors that caused reporting errors. I removed this moniotors from the history.config file and restarted SiteScope. Once these files were removed from the history.config the functionality started to work again.