I updated HP BSM and HP BPM from 9.13 to 9.23 version because I upgraded XP workstation to Seven. So now I have :
- WS 2008 R2 SP1 with HP BSM 9.23
- Seven Enterprise SP1 with HP BPM 9.23 (for LoadRunner scripts)
- Seven Enterprise SP1 with HP BPM 9.23 + QTP 11.0 (for QTP scripts)
All LoadRunner scripts are working fine on the new workstation. But for the QTP scripts, they are all failing. When I try to launch them manually nothing happen and MDRV log said that "The required log file for this task does not exist."
To resolve the problem I tried to stop BPM service and launch as process through "\HP\LoadGenerator\launch_service\bin\magentproc.exe" but when I do this HP BSM can't contact anymore my BPM agent and local web console is not reachable.