Happy new year and merry christmas for all,
Kindly find your help on this issue,
I didn't find English in Language settings while scheduling report on HP BSM.
after search i found the below,
I checked servers and i found the below:
- All servers supported English.
- Normally all reports are generated in English except when i tried to schedule them.
and here's snapshot from BSM while I am trying to select English:
could you please help on this ?
Thanks in Advance,,,
Go to Solution.
I found one issue which looks like "yours", reported for BSM 9.13:
The file <GW><HPBSM>\AppServer\resources\BACG11NConf.properties was incorrect / corrupted.
After replcing the file with a good one and restarting BSM all worked as expected.
So simply have a look at the file <HPBSM>\AppServer\resources\BACG11NConf.properties on the GW and compare it to the data between the "*******"
If it's different, create a copy of BACG11NConf.properties, copy the stuff between ******* into the original one,
save the file, restart BSM, and check again.
*******# GLobalization ConfigurationsLocaleKey=enSUPPORTED.LOCALES=en,fr,ko,ja,zh_CN,es,de,ru
# Globalization ComboLOCALELIST.TRANSLATED=AvailableCOMBO.ToolTip=Choose Login Locale
# Globalization Statistics
HP software team, recommended this solution.
I had this file with same data so they adviced by the following;
1- May be file not activated.
2- make Fake modification on file then undo it.
3- save file
4- restart BSM
I checked application after that and English appeared (Y)
Thank you for your help !!